Green or not?
Which? Has said that quick cycles on washing machines may not be as financially prudent or as green as thought previously.
The consumer watchdog found that out of a study of 10 different washing machines, the average cost of a standard cycle was 18p and a quick wash about 9p. This sounds impressive, however, Which? says that the shorter cleaning, rinsing and spinning means that people often need additional washes or use tumble dryers for longer.
Which? found that out of a survey of 1,199 washing machine owners, that 55% of people used the quick wash often or sometimes. The report said that quick washes are only really suitable for a few shirts that you’ve worn to the office for a day that don’t have stains or lingering smells.
If you need a local company that will repair your Tumble dryer in Plymouth, rather than just throw it away, call Ace Domestics now.
How long should your appliances last?
Historically, dishwashers like the Speed Queen Washer were built to last 25 years or more, whereas more modern machines will break down faster than the ones your grandparents owned.
However, this doesn’t relate to the quality of the machine’s performance, which more modern machines drastically out-perform the classic machines.
Most modern machines have a lifespan of 10 – 15 years. The experts from Sears Home Services have revealed these tips to help maintain the lifespan of your machine.
- Whilst you don’t need to wash dishes before putting them in the dishwasher, it is important to scrape off food particles that could cause a gunk build-up in the filter of your machine.
- Every few months it is worth removing the filter from your machine and cleaning it with a soft bristle brush – this prevents odour problems and drainage issues.
- Leave your washing machine door ajar between loads to let the rubber dry out and avoid mould building up.
- Clean the linen trap in your Tumble Dryer every time you use your dryer to prevent dryer fires.
- Prevent grease build-up on your oven by using a pipe-cleaner to clear gas burner pots from time to time.
- Brush the condenser coils in your refrigerator for dust every year. When dusty, condenser coils can’t push out hot air, meaning the fridge runs constantly to keep cool.
If your dishwasher is nearing the end of its lifespan or could simply do with some TLC, get in touch with Ace Domestics in Saltash for expert repairs.
Smart appliances – genius or insecure?
In the modern age, convenience is everything. The newest revolution in the convenience era is the introduction of smart appliances, controlled by a central system.
Similar to smart heating and smart lighting in the home, smart appliances would mean controlling your washing machine, tumble dryer, fridge and more from the comfort of your phone, or with your voice.
Hotpoint and Amazon Alexa have been working together in recent years to collaborate over the first smart appliances. There are even rumours that the fridges could contain technology which orders milk when you run out.
All this convenience is a step forward in some people’s eyes, but what about your security?
Studies are suggesting that adding more and more appliances to your central system could lead to vulnerabilities and potential access to your sensitive information by criminals – including your card details, passwords and more.
The question remains – is the comfort of convenience really worth the risk of insecurity?
For fast and effective Washing machine repairs in Plymouth, get in touch with ACE Domestics today.